Monday 14 October 2013

With winds they will come!



Well it has been an exciting past week here, with the recent storms and winds bringing in all sorts of goodies; some of which I've been lucky enough to see and some which I am yet to catch up with. The influx of Yellow-browed Warblers was fantastic, and to also catch a Pallas's Warbler at eye level while looking at a mixed flock of Goldcrest and a YBW was a real highlight. I've never used other peoples photos on here before, but I didn't have my camera to hand and they are such stunning birds (this was a lifer for me) that I feel one must make an appearance.

Pallas's Warbler
A few early mornings sea-watching have paid off and highlights have included Leach's Petrel, Manx Sheerwater and plenty of Skuas. The highlight so far though was last Friday, when at work at Titchwell I was able to stand in one spot and view a Long-eared Owl, Grey Phalarope and Green-winged Teal in one go! There are photos of all three below, however the owl is rather difficult to spot; I assure you it is there if you look hard enough.


Long-eared Owl, Asio otus

Green-winged Teal, Anus carolinensis

Grey Phalarope, Phalaropus fulicarius

That's all for now. As luck would have it I am off site this week learning first aid, vital but not at an ideal time. I'm hoping the few hours of daylight I have at the end of the day will allow me to pick up a few more vagrants before the week is out. I also have a weekend of ringing on the south coast to look forward to, and who knows what will turn up there!

No comments:

Post a Comment